Monday, September 29, 2008

New Equipment

  Well Friday we finally received some of Madi's equipment. The medical equipment place sent out someone to show up how to use 3 new pieces that I hope we won't need to use this winter. One was her pulse oximeter that shows us her oxygen levels when she is sick. We can determine if we need to take her to the hospital or not. We also got a cough assist machine. When Madi gets respiratory infections the cough assist machine forces air into her lungs and then makes her cough. After a few times of the air pushed in and she coughs then we use the other machine, called the suction machine. Hopefully when she coughs she coughs something up and the suction machine can suck the junk out of her mouth. So we are still waiting for the wheelchair. The bad news with all of this was the insurance company. We will need these machines forever and they decided to rent to own to us for 10 months, ultimately saving them money! I would have met my out of pocket deductible by ordering this stuff but since they are making us rent we will have to start over come January! It is 1050 a month. I hope to complain to the insurance and have that changed. Then Morgan had a sleepover and we went to Subway. Madi was smiling away at everyone and waving hi. She was funny! She has decided that she loves chips! Saturday morning we went to Molly's soccer game. Madi was a good cheerleader and yelled for Molly! Saturday night we went to my school carnival. We had our friend Emily as a helper. I had to go in the dunk tank for 15 minutes and poor Madi cried when she saw me go under. She did not like it! I had to tell Emily to take her somewhere else while I was in. She played the dig in the rice game and the pick a duck game. It was fun! Yes I did get dunked several times. On Sunday morning Madi stayed home and slept in with Daddy while the rest of us went to cheer on the runners at the Quad City Marathon. Later we went to Grandma Rita's for lunch. Madi loved playing with Carmie and she got her pretty toe nails painted. She loves to stand up now and she always says, "I big girl" She is so cute! I am starting to worry about the preschool transition. I hope she gets in the morning session or else I don't think I will send her. Her teacher mentioned the afternoon session to the babysitter but that wouldn't work. That would mean Madi would have lunch at 10:45 and not get a nap. Definitely not an option. So pray that it all works out! I am also worried about her speech. I have been around a few 2 year olds lately and she seems more behind than she should be. I don't know if she will have other problems on top of her SMA because she was a preemie or not. I hate to think that she will be cognitively behind as well. SMA kids are supposed to bright and get along fine in a normal classroom with some physical accomodations. I hope that holds true for Madi. We are also trying to make the decision on the Standing Dani so pray too that we can make that decision and get the funds to pay for it. There may even be a used one on Craig's List or something! We are still getting donations and counting our blessings everyday for so many supportive friends and family. Madi continues to show progress and we just pray to keep her healthy through the cold and flu season. Her standing is amazing and she is starting to pull herself up on about anything. I hope to get a picture of her with her walker up soon. Have a great day!

2 comments:

sunshine_4_u_2 said...

Ramirez family,
I read the article in the Times about your benefit and was directed to your blog. Your family is in my prayers and has touched my heart. I am a friend of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Iowa and was wondering if you are familiar with this wonderful organization? Please go to: iowawish.org There is a referral tab on the top. I'm sure they would love to share the power of a wish with your family.

Sergio Acuahuitl said...

Hey Megan, Tom, Morgan, Molly, and Madi,

Megan- I would not worry about Madi's speech. I think all kids start talking at different times and that she is doing well. My neice will be three in May and doesnt hardly at all either.

Also, I saw the post about Make A Wish and we have a person that is working to make Sergio's wish come true. If you want to, I can share your story with her and see if they can help you guys too... Just let me know.

Thirdly, on Sunday night the Extreme Makeover Home Edition is doing a house for an SMA family that has two daughters with it. I thought you might want to know. I think it is on at 7 or 8 on channel 8.

You guys are doing such a great job! Please let us know if there is anything we can help with! Hope to see you this weekend!
Melissa