Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween

Well we had a lot of fun last night, but a little exhausting for me. If you have ever been out to my house, houses are not so close together. I knew I couldn't carry Madi the whole time so I decided to use the wheelchair. I got quite the workout. The first neighborhood we went to all had steep driveways! Wow! Thanks goodness Kim took a turn with me. My legs are sore today from trick or treating! LOL!
Also, until you are faced with handicap accessibility, you never realize the obstacles there are. We couldn't get up to ONE door. We had to wait at the end of the steps and hope the person inside would see her. If not then I would ask if I could take the bowl to her. Because if someone brought her a piece she was not happy. She wanted to pick her own! At the second neighborhood there were sidewalks, and I was so grateful. UNTIL! I realized that it was a new neighborhood and the sidewalks randomly began and ended depending if a house was built by that lot or not. Ughhh! Grass isn't your friend in a wheelchair!
Then at one house, after I asked the lady if I could take the bowl to Madi she looked at Madi and then at me with the most disgusted look I have ever seen! You would have thought the lady just saw death. I don't know if she has never seen a kid in a wheelchair or if she was shocked. It almost felt like she looked at me as if to say, "What the hell did you do to your kid?" I haven't seen one of those horrified looks yet, that was a first of, I'm sure, many more to come. Anyway, at least Madi didn't notice. She loved every piece of candy and tried to eat each one, wrapper and all. At one point her candy bag got caught in the wheel of the wheelchair and I thought I was going to have to take the whole seat off, but I finally pulled it out. Overall, the kids had a great time and got plenty of candy! I'll try to add a picture later today. Remember to tell everyone you know about our new fundraiser, mobilesformadi. Thanks!

No comments: