Monday, March 9, 2009

Do you believe in miracles?



Well I sure do! Today has been a miraculous day everywhere! The day began with the best news we, as parents of an SMA child, could hear! Obama overturned the Bush ban on embryonic stem cell research! This means that science can move ahead to what other countries are already doing! This may mean a cure for SMA! I've said it before, I can picture the party in my head! More big news! Madi got her Standing Dani! We have been very anxious for her to try it! We put her in it for a short time tonight. She liked it but it needs adjustments to fit her. I am taking it to our equipment man, Brian, tomorrow to get her fitted! She drove it for a little bit in the garage but the fit was beginning to bother her. We only got one picture but I will get more when it fits her better. The real MIRACLE! Are you ready? Well, I was sitting on the couch and Madi was standing in front of me, like she usually does, holding on to me or the couch. She wanted to be really fancy and decided to clap her hands. She stood there for quite some time swinging and clapping her hands, completely standing on her own! Then she looked like any other kid and she took a step without holding on to anything! I swear! She then lost her balance but she did it! Amazing! I was crying! We had treadmill therapy tonight and maybe that helped her! Then I started to call people to tell them and she stood there talking to Kim and I counted slowly to 20 and she stood there the entire time, free standing!!!! I still can't believe how stubborn and strong this little girl is! According to scientists and genetics she should be a type one SMA, but she is obviously beating all odds! What a day! Keep posted for more pics!

No comments: